Developer Portal Community

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 

Setting up a test device on the Remote Manager (On-Premise)

Setting up a test device on the Remote Manager (On-Premise)

clemensw

Hi everyone, 

my name is Clemens Wodtke, for my Bachelor Thesis in Computer Science at the University of Bremen, Germany I would like to analyze the functionality and the security of the Bosch IoT Remote Manager. The idea is to get an understanding of the software that is used to manage a large amount of devices and thus getting an small insight into the security of a program used for the IoT.  

Now my professor received a license for the Bosch IoT Remote Manager 7.1 I can work with in the upcoming months. After setting up the RM I am confronted with the task of setting up a simple test device but have no idea how I could achieve this.  

The quick start guide for the Cloud Based Remote Manager provides a "Demo IoT Runtime" I assume can be used to simulate a gateway or end device that can be accessed with the RM.  

I am looking for advice on how I could set up or simulate a simple device I can control with the RM software.  

Unfortunately I also have no prior knowledge of OSGi or IoT in specific but obviously I'm eager to learn. 

So, is my understanding correct that the simplest device to set up would be a linux device with the OSGi framework? 

And if that is true what are the steps necessary for this?  

I apologize for the "stupid" questions but my research hasn't got me any further yet. Besides that I really hope that is the right place to ask this question, I will also try my luck on StackOverflow.

Thanks for reading and have a great day

7 REPLIES 7

pdo
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

Hi clemensw, again this is just community discussion and not tech support to you,

However I have noted several potential problems/suggestions which I list below, I recommend read through them all first, and try some or all of these suggestions, but especially #2, you need to extract/install Connectivity pack. I don’t think it will run without that properly extracted to the runtime.

That’s about all I know, so good luck!

1. General point: It doesn’t seem like you are following all the same steps that you linked to: The quick start guide . If you do this from the web Dashboard , go to Device Management > Register Device Action > Register OSGi, you should be able to check Demo IoT Runtime, and even if not anyway it will automatically download the Connectivity package, which you need to extract to the runtime folder. Maybe you’re trying to do “on-premises” configuration, if so, I don’t think that’s the best way to get started, use this above cloud quick start link that you shared. Even if you don’t see the runtime checkbox, you should still get the Connectivity pack. Then when you get it working, you can go from there with other software/packages.
    2. You have to extract that Connectivity pack to the runtime top folder. You will know it was a success because same-named folders in the runtime directory will then also have the files from the Connectivity folders of the same name. This should take care of all the files, I don’t think you need to manually seek/place certificate etc. files. It’s all taken care of.
    3. I’m not sure you can succeed running directly off your machine. Maybe you can, but I used a Raspberry Pi 3, with the Raspberry 2 runtime, and it worked fine (but see below). I would recommend just get an iot device, or maybe download some emulator and put the runtime/connectivity pack on there. I’m just not sure if the runtime works as an emulator right on your laptop/dektop.
    4. For me, the core gateway download did not work, but the home / iot gateway worked, for mbsa start script (osgi foreground server script worked for both). Did you try the Home Gateway download? Did you try to osgi script?

Hi @pdo, 

Thanks for bringing up good points!

I now changed my approach and will try to to use the cloud services as a starting point.  

In consultation with my professor I will now give the Edge Services a try, instead of the Remote Manager. I'm honestly also struggling there but I might make a new post about that.  

My basic problem is just that I dont understand the system really well although I've read through a lot of the available documentation. Every single step in the tutorials causes me further issues that I dont understand.  

Regarding the technical support: The Bosch support isn't answering any of my mails so I just have to try my luck in online forums and this one here seems to be the best bet. 

Thank you for your replies again

Icon--AD-black-48x48Icon--address-consumer-data-black-48x48Icon--appointment-black-48x48Icon--back-left-black-48x48Icon--calendar-black-48x48Icon--center-alignedIcon--Checkbox-checkIcon--clock-black-48x48Icon--close-black-48x48Icon--compare-black-48x48Icon--confirmation-black-48x48Icon--dealer-details-black-48x48Icon--delete-black-48x48Icon--delivery-black-48x48Icon--down-black-48x48Icon--download-black-48x48Ic-OverlayAlertIcon--externallink-black-48x48Icon-Filledforward-right_adjustedIcon--grid-view-black-48x48IC_gd_Check-Circle170821_Icons_Community170823_Bosch_Icons170823_Bosch_Icons170821_Icons_CommunityIC-logout170821_Icons_Community170825_Bosch_Icons170821_Icons_CommunityIC-shopping-cart2170821_Icons_CommunityIC-upIC_UserIcon--imageIcon--info-i-black-48x48Icon--left-alignedIcon--Less-minimize-black-48x48Icon-FilledIcon--List-Check-grennIcon--List-Check-blackIcon--List-Cross-blackIcon--list-view-mobile-black-48x48Icon--list-view-black-48x48Icon--More-Maximize-black-48x48Icon--my-product-black-48x48Icon--newsletter-black-48x48Icon--payment-black-48x48Icon--print-black-48x48Icon--promotion-black-48x48Icon--registration-black-48x48Icon--Reset-black-48x48Icon--right-alignedshare-circle1Icon--share-black-48x48Icon--shopping-bag-black-48x48Icon-shopping-cartIcon--start-play-black-48x48Icon--store-locator-black-48x48Ic-OverlayAlertIcon--summary-black-48x48tumblrIcon-FilledvineIc-OverlayAlertwhishlist