When biking in an area without 4G coverage, MyModule hangs and after a while shows a message saying that a webpage on https://dev-modules.cobi.bike cannot be opened due to "net::ERR_INTERNET_DISCONNECTED".
This is weird because the documentation on GitHub states that cobi.bike should be able to operate without internet access.
Solved! Go to Solution.
Thank you for your comment.
Yes, that is a good observation. The Github page could be clearer on this point: what it means is that the official and published COBI.Bike modules work offline. However, the developer modules and tools, such as MyModule need of an internet connection to work.
I hope this helps clarify your question.
Okay, then please explain why it is that my module, that does not need internet access at all, combined with the Cobi app that does not need internet access during ride, when they are coupled do need internet access?
Sure, please find below a short explanation.
My Module does need an Internet Connection to work. Proof of that is that if you enter Airplane mode and try to add it, you will see a loading screen and the module will never render.
Why is that? My Module is a developer tool, which loads a URL entered by the user into the COBI.Bike app; its purpose is to enable SDK developers to test their modules. Because developer modules are loaded over the Internet via HTTP, an internet connection is required.
In my view things go like this:
1.In the main screen of the app, when not connected to the hub the user swipes one of the lower module icons (e.g. "Music" or "Contacts").
2.User taps "Edit"
3. A page "Add and manage your modules below. The minimum number is two." appears.
4. User adds his "My Module" by tapping the green +-icon.
5. Then a page appears "Enter URL of your module:"
6. Now user can input the url of his module. This could be like "http://localhost:9000". The user module then is situated on the device and delivered by a local webserver. All references in the module are to local files, even "cobi.js" is. So for this module no internet access is required.
7. The above url is stored in localStorage.
8. This all happens during installation and being on line.
9. During riding ("COBI.context.onRide") I noticed the app trying to reopen the page mentioned above under 5. That page is loceted on the web and thus needs internet access. But opening it is unnecessary because the user url has already been stored in localStorage.
Maybe you can look at it?